Saturday, November 6, 2010

Learning


After all my years of being a part of an artistically talented family, I've finally picked up the pencil and have chosen to take lessons on the internet. There are so many amazing artists in the world, it just blows my mind. I've no hope of ever achieving the true depth of an artist who can turn a canvas into a work of art with hundreds or thousands of dollars, I know this. However... I am truly enjoying learning and practicing. I've always enjoyed Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro... even tackled a couple of pieces on my own that I'm pretty proud of for a beginner. However, I find that sitting and working with actual paper and graphite is so satisfying, that I am constantly drawn back to that medium.

Collie purchased an awesome series on watercolour painting, and that is my next step in the arts. We've really enjoyed listening and watching the gentleman who has taken the time to share his talent and teaching. In fact, I've joined a community of artists who will not accept photography or digital art at all.... just graphite, charcoal, acrylic, oils and watercolour pieces of art can be found in the gallery. It's pretty exclusive compared to digitalblashpemy.com who opens it's galleries to whatever you want to share. I'll continue with that site as well because I've learned so much there.

My self appointed lessons this week have been perspective drawing. The concept is clear and right on.... but when I use the the horizon and the focal points.... I don't feel as if I am creating. I feel like I'm sitting at a CAD lesson. So.... I'm absorbing the concepts, but loosely. I've promised myself that I will keep everything I draw for now in hopes that over time I will see growth and maturity in my creations.

Mom is an accomplished artist with paint mediums. When I was growing up, our living room wall displayed all of mom's oil paintings. To us kids, it was just normal. I guess I assumed that other parents must have the same types of hobbies, and didn't give a second thought to the two partially naked women hanging proudly on our wall. One was of a lovely Hawaiian woman holding a multicolored towel around her waist. Her very prominent and perky dark breasts were just... breasts in my eyes. I learned different when my teenage male friends would walk into my house.... mouths dropping open, tongues lolling with drool dribbling down their chins. I promised myself I'd never draw breasts, that I would stick with nature/landscape pictures. But I must admit that last week I drew a set of breasts. They turned out quite nicely. Now if I just had mom's knack of painting the rest of the body... I wouldn't have a page with disembodied breasts floating on it.

One of these days.... I will own a violin. In fact, if anyone knows of someone who has a violin collecting dust who would be willing to let it go for a nice low price, or in trade, please let me know. My next venture will be violin lessons online.

I love that about the availability we have now, to reach out and learn whatever we want. Horticulture is another area I'll be pursuing. Anyway.... I'm excited about the work I am doing... and I shall be posting items to chronicle my growth. Or stagnancy for that matter. :)

So much to say... I have two topics floating around in my head that I have been putting off the last week.... it all is cleared up right now... so I shall start to focus more on those things that truly draw me in. Pun intended.

Besides... I have creative children, and they are a lot of my schoolwork. How I would love to create a piece of art for each of them to proudly display in their homes!

Whetder you are in to music, crafts, arts, cooking.... whatever the hobby may be.... google.com is your friend.
Thanks for reading! ~ Dawnee




thanks for reading! ~ Dawnee

No comments:

Post a Comment